¡HOLA! Mis Amigos!
(Image of blogger Pretty in Pink Megan wearing our Mexican dress)
I decided to start a new blog series where I share a monthly roundup of 10 random things, people, food, clothing, businesses, etc. that I am digging at the moment. They may or may not always be themed but in honor of Valentine's Day, I thought why not share 10 things I love in Memphis. Because I do love where I live and the community that I live in!
So here we go in no particular order...
1. Sweet treats from RM Petit Cakes. It's hard to come up with a favorite because she is always whipping up delicious sweets. I would have to say her carrot cake, lemon tea cookies, and chocolate macaroons are at the top of my list. She pops up all around town and also does custom orders so be sure to check out her site and follow her on Instagram! Fun fact, she is my cousin, mi prima! :)
2. Memphis blogger Pretty In Pink Megan. I love her style. She seems real and I like that about her! Her Instagram stories are very entertaining! She also was super awesome and helped my newbie business by doing 2 blog posts sharing Mucho merch. Check them out here and here!
3. The Crybaby Club flair shop & brand! This brand is so creative! They remind us that it's ok to feel, cry, and to love yourself. I have a few of their enamel pins and I have gotten some for my sister because we are all about our emotions. Here's just a few of the things I love... this, this, & this.
4. Jameson slushies and brunch at Slider Inn. All you need is 1 slushie and you will be feeling good! Also, cheese grits. YUM!
5. Positively Creative Podcast this is a local podcast that is for creative entrepreneurs created by the talented painter Dorothy Collier of Dorothy Art. It's a very motiving and informative podcast for small businesses. It's great for everyone not just Memphians.
6. The Memphis Zoo. I've been to my fair share of zoos all around. This one is hands down my favorite! They have great events too like zoo lights and ice skating during the holidays, zoo brew (beers!), and zoo boo for the kiddies.
7. Memphis College of Art. This one is very close to my heart. I dreamed of attending when I was in high school, but unfortunately, it wasn't in my budget. Fast forward to a few years later mixing good grades at community college fashion school, I applied and got a president's scholarship that paid for the majority of my education. It was the toughest thing I ever did but the most rewarding. I earned my BFA in Digital Media. Sadly, last year MCA announced that they are closing by 2020 once their final student graduates. I can't describe how sad it is. I can't imagine what will happen to that amazing building that is a work of art in itself. There are groups on Facebook and talk of people trying to figure out how to save MCA, but it's going take a really huge donation to do it.
8. Cooper-Young neighborhood. This beautiful walkable midtown neighborhood has the most gorgeous old bungalow style homes. Every house is different which I love not like your typical suburban neighborhood where every house looks just like the next. Bonus, when I say walkable I mean there are awesome bars, restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores, an art gallery, a brewery, yoga, and so much more! I'm a bit bias because I am lucky enough to own a home with my husband, dog, and cat in this neighborhood. We love to walk to one of the many patios and sip a beer or eat a delicious meal! Cooper-Young also holds the CY Festival every year which is one of the largest art street festivals in the area.
9. El Mezcal Mexican Restaurant. This one also holds a special place in my heart because they have been around for a long time so I've been eating there since I was a teenager. They have several locations. We used to frequent one out in East Memphis that has since moved, but now we go to the one in Midtown on Union Ave. Their margaritas are pretty weak but the food is so good and never disappoints!
10. Babycreep by Nikkila Carroll. Ceramics and mixed media jewelry, planters, mugs and more made of disturbingly beautiful doll-like faces and body parts. I love her lip earrings and just recently got a planter with a succulent.
That was a lot harder than I thought because there's so much more I love in Memphis. I'll definitely share more on Memphis soon.
Please let me know if you enjoyed this new series in the comments! I will be doing this once a month. They probably won't be as long winded but what can I say I love Memphis! So for March, it will be just random things I am into at the time.
Love. Mucho Mucho.